Believing in religion... or Christianity

The look Dexter just got when he told the sister at the preschool and his own sister that he doesn't believe in anything is the same look I get when I answer the same question as I don't believe either.
Why is it so hard for believers to grasp the fact that not everyone believes/is religious?
Is it so hard to believe that some don't need a god to believe is looking over them?

I am going to give reasons as to why I don't believe. And I really would like to know what you guys think. There are days I wonder what is wrong me as I have so many friends who are believers...

I went to church until I was about 10 years old. We went to amazingly laid back and non-judgmental Presbyterian Church in Burlington, Ontario. I enjoyed the songs, the stories (the lessons and morals), and of course I enjoyed Sunday School (well to a degree - my social anxiety was horrid as a child). But no matter how much I enjoyed being at our church, I still didn't believe.

Since childhood I have been someone who questions. Someone who wants proof.

With that thought, science proves evolution. To deny the science is just denying the truth due to fear that your beliefs are not the reality you thought/would like them to be - in my opinion.  (My mother is a believer and she believes in both... It confuses me, but I am open to learn and ask her questions all the time.)

I can not seem to believe in a being that supposedly watches over us, but allows so much suffering to those who do not deserve it. And the people who do not deserve great wealth (whether it be money, health, or the like), seem to be the ones who prosper - in my opinion.

Churches throughout time have abused their powers and taken advantage of their devout followers. The churches are hypocrisies - in my opinion.

People use religion as a reason to be racists, bigots, chauvinistic, and the like. If you truly are a Christian, none of this would be a part of your life.

People who claim to be Christian - in my opinion - more often than not, preach the opposite of what their God and bible teach.

...I could go on.
But this is the basics of why I don't believe in a God. Why I don't make religion a part of my life...

Wait! On second thought, I do have religion!
My religion is trying to be the best person I can be. To help those I can. To contribute positively to my community, and world. To be a compassionate, non-judgmental, empathetic, whole hearted being.
It is the religion of Sam ;o)

Though a touchy subject due to how personal it is, I still would really like your opinions - How you feel about religion.

Hope to hear from you!
Until next time,
Live. Laugh. Love.

Comments

  1. My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness...
    “I believe that the very purpose of life is to be happy. From the very core of our being, we desire contentment. In my own limited experience I have found that the more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being. Cultivating a close, warmhearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at ease. It helps remove whatever fears or insecurities we may have and gives us the strength to cope with any obstacles we encounter. It is the principal source of success in life. Since we are not solely material creatures, it is a mistake to place all our hopes for happiness on external development alone. The key is to develop inner peace.”
    In my opinion, Dalai Lama says it best.
    I myself am not religious, I'm spiritual

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheena!
      Thank you for sharing your views!!!
      I very much agree with you, and the Dalai Lama!
      <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PLEASE do not give up!!!

Anger Management

Self Respect