Vegan Quinoa Chili mmmmm

Hello!

I have been dealing with excruciating pain due to my small intestines being inflamed for almost 2 weeks now, so I apologize that I am only now sharing this recipe with you.  This would be what I made for my family to take to the Superbowl Party they went to.

I am going to past the recipe I used (from http://carriedawayaboutnutrition.wordpress.com/2014/01/29/veggie-quinoa-chili/), and then add notes about the changes I made to the recipe.

It turned out delish! Hope you all enjoy!

Ingredients:
½ cup quinoa
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 medium yellow squash, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
***1/2 an Acorn Squash***
***1 parsnip***
***1 can of mushrooms***
2 cans black beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 can garbanzo beans
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 Tbsp ***gluten free*** soy sauce
¼ cup spiced rum ***I did not use the rum***
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1-3 tsp chili powder (depends on your taste)
pepper, to taste
***for all seasonings I approximately tripled how much this recipe called for***
***added water as chili cooked and thickened***
 
Directions:
  • In a medium sauce pan bring 1 cup of water with ½ cup quinoa to a boil. Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes, until all the water is absorbed.
  • In a large pot, add olive oil, garlic and onions and cook until tender (about 5 minutes). Add the carrot, zucchini, yellow squash, bell pepper, (any veggies you decide to use), and soy sauce and cook another 10 minutes or until all the veggies are tender. (the veggies will cook while chili is cooking also, so depending on how long you plan to cook the chili, do not over cook the veggies before adding the rest of the ingredients.)
  • Add the black beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and stir. Then add in the quinoa, the rum (optional!), and seasonings – the cumin and chili powder. Simmer on low for 30-45 minutes and serve warm. (I slow cooked the chili for a few hours - I think that is the only way to do it.)
  • taste the chili as it is cooking and make sure you are seasoning to taste :o)
 
Serve and Enjoy!
Until next time folks,
Live! Laugh! Love!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLEASE do not give up!!!

Anger Management

Self Respect