the Sam Diet ;-)

(there are past posts about my lifestyle & health choices, but here is more of a "health plan"... a little bit different than previous posts... have had some requests...)

I have been asked numerous times what my lifestyle choices are to be healthy - NOT that I do not make plenty of unhealthy choices! Last two years of my life (living in Breckenridge), are a perfect example of that lol But all in all, healthy happy Sam comes from following the "plan" below. (This has worked for many others as well; maybe it is the right choice for you to, or maybe there are ideas you can incorporate into your routine/reigmen.)

 

The Sam Diet



Alrighty, Exercise.

No matter your weight, health, pain level, everyone should get some amount of physical exercise.
Per the CDC Adults need at least:
2 hours and 30 minutes (150 minutes) of moderate-intensity aerobic activity (i.e., brisk walking) every week and
muscle-strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week that work all major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders, and arms).

I aim for a minimum of 30 minutes a day of physical activity/exercise.
Currently I own & operate my own service business that is mainly housekeeping, and I do general contractor work. I am active to say the least ;-) As well, I enjoy yoga, walking/hiking/(trail) running, snowboarding - among other outdoor activities.

10 minutes at a time is fine
We know 150 minutes each week sounds like a lot of time, but it's not. That's 2 hours and 30 minutes, about the same amount of time you might spend watching a movie. The good news is that you can spread your activity out during the week, so you don't have to do it all at once. You can even break it up into smaller chunks of time during the day. It's about what works best for you, as long as you're doing physical activity at a moderate or vigorous effort for at least 10 minutes at a time. (CDC)
I really enjoy the 10 Minute Solution (Yoga) Video Series. As well, I have found many great videos (to work out at home) on You Tube.

Side Information for those who do not follow the blog, and so you understand that I appreciate physical limitations:
My physical diagnosis include, but are not limited to - fibromyalgia/chronic pain syndrome, arthritis, chronic g.i. pain/issues, chronic headaches/migraines, tremors...
Two all natural aids I use: Medical Marijuana (I am a patient in Colorado - I do not recommend this route for everyone), and Whole Food Nutrition Trio Capsules (I do recommend this route to almost everyone - only people I do not are people that can not take them per doctors orders; these people are few & far between).
*The better shape we are in, the less pain we have, especially in regards to pain conditions such as Arthritis. The more muscle there is, the less your joints are bearing the burden of supporting your body.
 
 


Diet

I recommend everyone checks out choosemyplate.gov
Balance, like most things in life, is the key to a healthy diet. As well, the saying "variety is the spice of life", applies literally to a healthy, well rounded diet ;-)
Do NOT deprive yourself! Depriving yourself of the foods you love only sets you up for failure, and binge sessions ;-)
Follow serving suggestions. Follow dietary guidelines.
Eat all natural - ditch the processed foods (as much as possible). Eating healthy is not more expensive; this is a major misnomer. Perfect example is my family; we buy what is on sale and meal plan from there. We buy what is in season and meal plan from there. We grow as much produce as we can on our own. And we use Whole Food Nutrition supplementation to help Bridge the Gaps in our diets.

Going back to variety quickly; vary choices within all food groups!
Protein tid bits: red meat should not be your main source of protein! Add more Chicken and Fish to your diet
Keep in mind that farmed fish is higher in mercury levels (as well tend to be genetically modified), and non-organic meat contains hormones, anti biotics, preservatives, and more. Buy all natural/organic meat, and wild caught fish when it is on sale (again mind location when purchasing fish due to pollution/etc). You can always freeze meat/fish until you are ready to consume it.
Nuts & Seeds are a healthy protein source, in moderation.
Eggs and Dairy (again in moderation), are a healthy protein source. (Note: Science has shown that humans are not meant to consume dairy after breast feeding age; hence high numbers of dairy allergies & intolerance. I do not drink milk, but I can not help myself when it comes to eating cheese lol and I do love yogurt & ice cream on occasion... and I am dairy intolerant lol)
Many vegetables are healthy protein sources as well. Including, but not limited to: peas & beans.

Choose healthy grains!!! There are so many to chose from! Quinoa, Wheat, Rye, Oats, Long Grain Rices - and so much more!
It is easy to overindulge with unhealthy grains. Example being; enriched white flour bread. Just. Say. No! ;-)

Vegetables & Fruits; VARIETY! VARIETY! VARIETY!
Adults ages 19 - 51 should consume 2 1/2 to 3 cups of vegetables a day, and 1 1/2 to 2 cups of fruit a day! That is a lot of fruit & veggies - especially veggies!!! ;-)
And on top of that, you also need to make sure you are eating the variety of colors to get the full range of vitamins & nutrients from your fruits and vegetables.
...This was an issue that has kind of overwhelmed and stumped me for years. I found a solution though to help us Bridge the Gap; Whole Food Nutrition Supplementation.

Something to remember in regards to servings: the more active you are, the more servings you need!
Side Note: Vegetarians & Vegans, you need supplementation as much as anyone else - no matter how healthy you eat.

Recommended Daily Calorie Intake for Adults 19-51: 1600-2000 for women, and 2000-2400 for men. *These amounts are appropriate for individuals who get less than 30 minutes of moderate physical activity most days.
 
choosemyplate.gov has some pretty cool tools and resources to help you get on track!
 

In combination with portions, How Often You Eat Is Important.

For myself and millions of others, the most effective way to maintain blood sugar levels, and avoid late night binging is the following Meal Plan:
Breakfast
Mid Morning Snack
Lunch
Mid Afternoon Snack
Dinner
Desert/Snack (not within 2-3 hours of bed; so if bedtime is 10 pm, last calories consumed should be no later than 8 pm.)
*keep your daily recommended calorie intake to the fore front of your mind when making meal & snack choices - they are used up quickly! make healthy choices :-) healthy can be delicious ;-)
*the more you feed your body healthy food, the more it will crave healthy food :-)
 

Restive Sleep

A sleep routine is key for me, and many others.
The recommended amount for an adult is approximately 7-8 hours... I need 8-10 lol
As someone who struggles with mania, anxiety, and insomnia, it took me some time to "re-train" my brain & body. But with determination and persistance, I won the battle! ;-)
I go to bed around 9-10 pm and am up at 6-6:30 am.
If I do not get effective (or restive) sleep, my energy/fatigue levels are effected the next day. And with that, my mood and pain levels.
A couple of all natural aids that help my sleep routine: Medical Marijuana (I am a patient in Colorado - I do not recommend this route for everyone), and Whole Food Nutrition Trio Capsules (I do recommend this route to almost everyone - only people I do not are ones that can not take them; these people are few & far between).
 
 

Therapy

I am diagnosed with Bipolar 1, ADD, Social & Generalized Anxiety Disorders, OCD Tendencies, PTSD... etc. (I feel like I am tad overdiagnosed, hence the "etc" ;-)
Going through Dialectical Behavioral Therapy was probably in the top 5 of Most Effective Choices I have made for myself. Whether you are diagnosed with a mental illness or not, I highly recommend it for everyone; not many know how to cope with life/what is these days.
In combo with therapy, I also do a ton of "Self Help" via educating myself, blogging, art/photography, providing Peer Support, and running an Online (Mental) Health Community on Facebook - among other things I do as forms of therapy.
 
Side Information for Therapy Skeptics: You get out of therapy exactly what you put into it. As well, if you do not have a therapist you can be completely open & honest with, the relationship can not truly work effectively. While some are lucky and find the right therapist/form of therapy in a short period of time, it took me 15+ years lol (It is what it is, and everything I went through before finding my Therapist has helped shape who I am today. And I am pretty proud of the me today, if I do say so myself ;-)

Every single person out there could benefit from (one or more forms of) therapy, but most will never be lucky enough to experience how wonderful an experience a therapist-patient relationship can be... it is like having a living diary... that talks back to you... and gives you great advice... and is not a loved one (like mum or our bff), that gives amazing(ly similar advice as your therapist), but we always ignore ;-)
 

 

Meditation

Mindfulness. Being in the moment. Breathing. Letting go. Release. Peace... these are all words that come to mind when I think about Meditation.
The goal is to focus and quiet your mind, but there is so much more to it. There are many different explanations, this is what I give to you. Like therapy, you get out of meditation exactly what you put into it. Negativity begets Negativity, and thus Positivity begets Positivity. Go into it wholeheartedly.
 
"Meditation brings wisdom; lack of mediation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom." - Buddha
 
"Meditation is not a way of making your mind quiet. It’s a way of entering into the quiet that’s already there – buried under the 50,000 thoughts the average person thinks every day." – Deepak Chopra
 
"If a person’s basic state of mind is serene and calm, then it is possible for this inner peace to overwhelm a painful physical experience." – The Dalai Lama
 

Chiropractory/Massage/Acupuncture

If you have not tried 1 or all; do so ASAP!!! ;-)
O. M. G!!!
Need I say more??? ;-)
 
 
In combination with the above we also use,

Vitamins, Supplements, Medical Marijuana, Whole Food Nutrition, and Water

I am chronically deficient in Vitamin D (and not for the usual known reasons; we have not been able to figure it out thus far), so I am supposed to take 4000-6000 IU a day of Vitamin D.
I am supposed to also take: Selenium, Magnesium, CO-Q-10, B-Complex, D-Ribose, L-Carnitine, a Women's Multi Vitamin, Pro-Biotics, Medical Marijuana... and I feel like there is 1 more vitamin, and I am totally spacing it at the moment lol
 
What I am currently taking: Women's Power Packs by Arbonne, Vitamin D Spray by Arbonne, Trio (Whole Food Nutrition) Capsules by Juice Plus, and when my energy (& mood) take a big dip (which really has not happened that often since beginning the Trio Capsules), I add the Magnesium, CO-Q-10, and sometimes also the D-Ribose and L-Carnitine back into the daily regimen.
(See my post regarding my research on vitamins/supplements.)
 
Water: Half your body weight every day. You will need to consume larger amounts the more active you are.
 
 
When I stick to "The Sam Diet", I am a Super Healthy and Happy Sam :-D
Who doesn't want to be healthy & happy???
 
 
Well folks, I think that is all for this post... though I feel like I am forgetting things... lol
 
If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask me! I would also love to hear any tips, advice, feedback, etc.
And, if I think of anything else I will be sure to add it :-)
Until next time friends,
Live, Laugh, Love.
 
 
for more information and/or to order Whole Food Nutrition, follow this link: http://sl35166.juiceplus.com/
Bridge the Gap!
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLEASE do not give up!!!

Anger Management

Self Respect