easy peasy, DELISH asian beef dinner

I found this recipe on Pinterest; this is a recipe make over.
I have copied & pasted the original and will add my changes in with bold print, or with a line through the type if I do not agree with the statement/did something else :-) 

Why I like this recipe/meal?
1. It is a really inexpensive and quick meal.
2. It looks and tastes gourmet (good for a quick dinner to impress).
3. It is really delicious.


Ingredients 1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 - 1/2 cup brown sugar (I like it sweet so I usually do closer to 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup soy sauce (I use low-sodium Gluten Free)
1 Tablespoon sesame oil (has to be sesame for the desired flavor of this dish)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced (see note)
1/2 - 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers (to desired spiciness)
salt and pepper
1 bunch green onions, diced (don't skip this!)

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and brown hamburger with garlic in the sesame oil. Drain most of the fat and add brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, salt and pepper and red peppers. Simmer for a few minutes to blend the flavors. Serve over steamed rice and top with green onions. 

Note: here's a trick I learned from Rachael Ray about fresh ginger. I love using fresh ginger in recipes but I never seem to have it on hand since it goes rotten in the refrigerator before I can use it. So, the next time you're at the store grab a large piece of ginger. Peel the entire thing and cut it into 1/2 inch pieces. Put it into a storage bag and keep it in the refrigerator. When you need a few teaspoons or so, all you have to do it pull out one of the small pieces and grate the alloted amount with your Microplane or a zester, or food processor/blender (I have a handheld size which was perfect). It grates really well frozen! Ta da!

As well as the changes above, I doubled the Sauce ( 1/2 cup Soy & 1 cup Brown Sugar), as I added Water Chestnuts, Bamboo Shoots, and Peas. 
The more crushed red pepper you add, the hotter the dish. I do not recommend doubling red pepper when you double sauce as not all can handle the heat ;-) Buuut I do recommend using a little more ginger, especially if you like the flavor. 

Oh yeah, you do not need the green onions, but it does kind of finish the dish/flavor. As well, you do not have to use steamed rice. Whatever rice you prefer/have in the house will work. Same goes for soy sauce. Use what you have in your home already. It is not "easy peasy" if you have to make a trip to the grocery store ;-) 
In regards to the ginger; you do not have to peel it all first. I put mine in the freezer with the skin on still, and peel it when I take it out for use. 

Last but certainly not least,
I apologize as I have no photo for you :-P there is another downfall of not having my beloved SG4 :-( hopefully I can come up with the $500 for a new one asap! :-) 

I think that is all...
Until next time folks, 
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Annnd,
Live. Laugh. Love! :-) 





http://sluegger.juiceplus.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLEASE do not give up!!!

Anger Management

Self Respect