Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ok, Chicken Tortilla Soup; my way :-) ...or at least for today ;-) 

For stock you can make yours from scratch (chicken, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, basil, salt, pepper), or a mix of scratch and store bought broth, or just store bought broth (I use equal amounts of water).

Today I used a mixture.
I had 1/2 a container of organic vegetable broth, and a full container of organic chicken broth.
I then used approximately 6 cups of water, and added the remains of our rotisserie chicken from dinner the other night.
From here: an onion, 1 tbsp minced garlic, couple of handfuls of baby carrots, and a (sliced) lime, and approximately 1 tbsp basil.
I brought this mixture to a boil, and then simmered until the meat fell off the bone.
Next I removed all the bones and the rinds from the lime.
Now comes the "Tortilla" part of the soup.
1 can of diced tomatoes
2 cans of black beans
1 can of mushrooms
1 bag of frozen corn

Seasonings I add per taste... I can give you what I approximately used...

1/2 TSP crushed red pepper
1/2 TSP (hot) paprika
1/4 TSP white pepper
1/2 TSP sea salt
1/4 TSP black pepper
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp chili powder

Bring to a boil, and then simmer until cooked through. The longer it can simmer, the more the flavors come out.

Serve topped with grated cheese and crushed tortilla chips.

Enjoy! :-)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PLEASE do not give up!!!

Anger Management

Self Respect