National Women's Health Week

 

What is National Women's Health Week?

National Women’s Health Week is an observance led by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women’s Health. The goal is to empower women to make their health a priority. The week also serves as a time to help women understand what steps they can take to improve their health. The 17th annual National Women’s Health Week kicked off on Mother’s Day, May 8, and will be celebrated through May 14, 2016.

Via womenshealth.gov:

What steps can I take for better health?

To improve your physical and mental health, you can:
Find out what additional steps you can take based on your age.


Sam, what do you do for your health?

I follow the advice above (see my doctor regularly, stay as active as possible, eat as healthy as I can, take care of my mental health the best I can, and I try to avoid unhealthy behaviors), and I also take Vitamin D, Omega (3's), CO-Q-10, Magnesium, and Juice Plus+ Capsules. (Also, when I am not out of them: Selenium, D-Ribose, L-Carnitine, and Probiotics. We purchase vitamins & supplements from Vitamin Cottage/Natural Grocers, here in Colorado.)
Another step we have taken to help our health (and the health of the planet); We have switched to Non Toxic Products (whenever possible). Ingredients really do matter! Join my Magnificent May Facebook Event to learn more.
Very Important: Restive sleep, and enough of it. We use a Melatonin, L-Theanine, and Botanical Blend to help us when our minds don't want to allow the zzz's to come our way. We also have a variety of calming herbal teas; Sweetened with some honey, accompanied by a soft blanket and an easy & good read (but not too thrilling - do not want to get that mind going), is a great way to ease into bed.
I also feel hobbies are very important for our mental health; good mental health in turn helps our physical health overall - and vice versa. My hobbies include snowboarding, art, hiking, photography, blogging, camping, crafts, gardening; and the list is ever growing! I go through times I can not find passion for one or all hobbies... during those times I try to reflect, work on acknowledging & accepting what is, and work towards some inner balance... just enough to get my passions for one or more of my hobbies back. (When I notice I lack passion for my hobbies, I know my mental health is in need of care. This is a plus as it helps me be more mindful, and try to be more present so I can work on me.)
Diet Note: We are Gluten Free, and (minus my obsession with cheese) Dairy & (as much as possible) Refined Sugar Free.


"So often women feel guilty about taking time for ourselves, but we have to make our health a priority. We have to realize that when we are not healthy, we can’t be there for all of those who depend on us. But remember, don’t take on too much too fast. Instead focus on making one simple change. One simple change today can have a huge impact on your health down the road." ~ Shannon Miller

I felt it important to share that quote. Too often I see women making excuses to not care for themselves; children, work, scheduling, etc. The list of "reasons" to not care for ourselves is never ending it seems.


Today I challenge you to stop making reasons to not care for You.

Your challenge:
Make One Simple Change a day, or a week, going forward.
And today your One Simple Change Challenge is to Accept this Challenge.

Here are a few other One Simple Change ideas to get you going:

Drink More Water (Doctors orders, not just mine lol)
Due any Check Ups? Physical/PAP? Dental? Eye? Make an appointment and go to it. (No insurance? Let's chat and see what we can find/do for you.)
Go for a 30 Minute Walk (Start with 1 day, with a goal of 3 to 5 times a week (or more) - and try to work up to 60 minutes, or more if you can/want to!)
Make Your Bed When You Get Up (if you do not already, or there is not a body in it lol may sound crazy, but there is science backing my recommendation)
Trade Sugar for Raw Honey/Pure Maple Syrup/Agave to sweeten (you can also use raw sugar - just avoid refined sugars and sweeteners/sugar substitutes)
Buy Organic when possible (we buy what is on sale and meal plan from there)
Turn Electronics Off 30-60 Minutes Before Bed (not always easy lol but try)
Purchase Non GMO when possible (Look for the seal, and (thankfully) most stores are making Non GMO goods clearly known these days)
Learn Yoga (I learned on my own, at home, using videos - you do not have to spend ton of money or go to classes, and that goes for any "exercise"; Message me with any questions)
Use & Buy Non Toxic when possible (ewg.org is a great place for people to start learning, and to research products/companies - please note comment, "a great place for people to start learning." I use many reputable & trusted sources when researching products and posting on this blog, and can share those if you wish. In my and many others opinion, you have to really read into the info provided by ewg.org and not just go by their overall score of a product or company. Just a "FYI" haha)



(If you go through our past/archived posts you will find many discussing health, diet, and similar. Please take a minute to read the posts that interest you most, and share them if you enjoy/agree (with) them. Thank you.)

 Avoiding "Risky Behaviors"...

I am sure many of you are wondering how this is even a Women's Health Topic.
Coming from a Mental Illness Perspective,
Risky Behaviors are a very real concern for women, especially women with Mental Illness as many of us tend to engage in Risky Behaviors more often than the average person.
Over the years I have found staying on top of my mental health reduces the chances of Risky Behaviors for myself. Mindfulness, Acknowledging & Accepting What Is, Therapy, and taking care of myself overall helps keep my risk lower.
If you have issues with Risky Behavior please do not hesitate to reach out.



Wow, there is a lot to go over in this post!
Let me know if you have any questions, at all.
And with that, time for me to wrangle my son into the shower lol

Until next time,
Live. Laugh. Love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLEASE do not give up!!!

Anger Management

Self Respect